Saturday, December 24, 2011

Big Nickel Digiscoping

July 20

Jean and I were walking along the Trans Canada Trail in Sudbury and we were not having any luck locating a Pileated Woodpecker. Out on Kelly Lake however, a pair of Common Loons appeared and remained in the area long enough for Jean to capture some digiscoped images. 




Before starting our hike, we observed one of the loons from Southview Drive and I did not think we would encounter it again or even spot a second one for that matter.






We have never been this close to a loon. It was aware of our presence, but the loon showed little concern that we were watching it.




Check out that bill!












My favourite.




Being this close to a Common Loon soon had me forgetting what we were looking for and was well worth bringing our hike to a stop. I was determined Jean and I were going to find our target species though. We still had an evening of birding and the next day to find the whatchamacallit before returning to Niagara.





No comments:

Post a Comment